Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
is now available in paperback. The Christian church has a long tradition of systematic theology, that is, studying theology and doctrine organized around fairly standard categories such as the Word of God, redemption, and Jesus Christ. This introductory textbook on systematic theology has several distinctive features:
- A strong emphasis on the scriptural basis for each doctrine and teaching
- Clear writing, with technical terms kept to a minimum
- A contemporary approach, treating subjects of special interest to the church today
- A friendly tone, appealing to the emotions and the spirit as well as the intellect
- Questions for personal application at the end of each chapter
- Resources for worship with each topic
- Bibliographies with each chapter that cross-reference subjects to a wide range of other systematic theologies
Wayne Grudem understands that every Christian 'does theology,' that doctrine inevitably finds its application in the believer's life. Clearly written, this volume demonstrates an appreciation for the rich diversity of traditions within the body of Christ while at the same time reminding us that our faith is rooted in historic Christian truth.
Prison Fellowship Ministries
If you were hoping to find a student's textbook of theology that seeks your spiritual no less than your intellectual formation, rejoice. Wayne Grudem has written exactly what you wanted, and he had done so very competently indeed.
Systematic Theology is remarkable for its extraordinary juxtapositions. It is penetrating but not confusing; forthright and unequivocal but not reckless or overstated; readable and clear but not superficial; biblically grounded, even biblically saturated, but not textually careless or glib; devout and reverent but not uncritical or naive; practical but not trendy or sentimental; comprehensive but not majoring on minors; a book for the church but not parochial or sectarian. I expect to turn it for decades.
Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis
Altogether a magnificent achievement which deserves to be widely used among evangelicals.
Beeson Divinity School